History of Our Y

February 1913  First Committee meeting on Community Boys’ Work – D.B. Johnson, W.J. Roddey, Alexander Long, Lueco Gunter, George Beach, J.R. Miller, John London, J.A. Barber and J.P. Kinard.
1913-1924  First President D.B. Johnson served
April 1913  First Secretary for Boys’ Work reported
1913  YMCA Headquarters located in the offices of J.P. Hollis (over Rock Hill Hardware Store)
   First organized playgrounds conducted by YMCA
   First organized camping sponsored by the YMCA
February 1914  First United Church Institute held
1914  First boy Scout troop organized by YMCA Secretary
   Associated Charities organized by the YMCA
1915  YMCA moved offices over Good Drug Store on Hampton St.
1917  Offices of the YMCA moved over Ratterree’s Drug Store
   YMCA, in cooperation with other organizations, sponsored Chatauquas for many years in Rock Hill
1920  Thrift Week sponsored by the YMCA
1924  YMCA offices moved to Friedheim Building on Trade St.
   Committee appointed to study possibilities of erecting a permanent YMCA Building
1925  Effort made to raise funds for Building did not materialize
1928  Offices moved to basement of Citizens Bank (now Rock Hill National Bank)
1931  Building Fund Campaign committee recommended $55,000 goal for a building, but it was decided not to make the effort at that time due to conditions
1932  Offices moved to second floor of Rock Hill Gas Co.
1941  Facilities of municipally owned Confederate Park turned over to the YMCA
1942-1945  City Playgrounds directed by YMCA
1943  Joined Rock Hill United Fund
   Service Center opened and operated by YMCA
1944  Girls’ and Women’s Work added to YMCA program
   YMCA first organized softball, volleyball and baseball leagues in Rock Hill
1945  YMCA offices moved to Huey Building on Caldwell St.
   YMCA War Memorial Building Fund Campaign started
1946  Operations began at Camp Cherokee in Kings Mountain State Park
   Offices of YMCA moved to 233 Hampton St. (old Gettys Residence)
1949  Incorporated with the Secretary of State’s Office of South Carolina
December 22, 1950  Moved into new YMCA Building at 402 Charlotte Avenue
January 7, 1951  Rock Hill Community YMCA Building Dedicated